Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Well, I actually "saw" it...


Being a huge movie fan, I have done all my best NOT to see the movie "Saw" as long as it was possible. However, I did decide to watch it.

Macdonaldization of the movie industry seems ubiquitous and it has reached most of movie genres by now, including horrors and thrillers that have always been a kind of special niche for me. In a nutshell, the difference between "Saw" and, say, Kubrick's marvellous "The Shining" (or, precisely to Fincher's "Se7en" and "Cube") might be rendered by the comparing a cheeseburger and caviar. Well, almost everybody likes cheseburgers but it's caviar that makes you eat slowly and carefully, enjoying every bit of it and feeling the unique taste.

Needless to say, the authors of the "Saw" have defecated three episodes of the movie so far. I have seen all of them out of pure unrestrained curiosity and what I got was the feeling that I want at least three hours of my life back.

As long as the first part was quite original and interesting, it was amazing to see how poor were the two sequels. The movie gives an impression of overt impossibility or lack of plausibility of events, but this is maybe only my impression. Let's leave aside the old "puzzle" man barely able to move his legs and imagine how he managed to create all his universe of intricate machines and complex traps. Well? Oh well, whatever. It's just a movie, right?

But another thing is, that people who liked "Cube" and "Seven" will be able to see the similarities and thus lack of originality in "Saw". The puzzles of a maniac in "Seven" were quite plausible and the movie was gripping to the very end, whereas in "Saw" the reality is stretched to fit the puzzles, which, since you happen to notice it, is unbearable throughout the whole movie. The sequels, given their MTV-like editing and retrospective scenes (for the dummies or what?) is almost a self-parody.

I am afraid they're going to shoot part four, goddamnit. Why can't people do good movies anymore instead of producing crap like this forever?

1 comment:

halfexistence said...

(First comment, ha!)

I must admit that having seen Saw (the first part) I was amazed. There was something fresh in it. And I watched it again. And again. By the time I showed it to all my friends the amount of times I have seen it myself went up to 8 I believe. I couldn't wait for Saw II and when I finally saw it, it must have been really bad because I barely remember anything from it (and I couldn't have been drunk ;). I still haven't seen Saw III but now that you said it's utter shit, I might not want to waste 2 hours of my life.

And for your information - they *are* shooting part four. It's going to be out at the end of next year and star Jessica Alba. Oh well.